- The deadline for UK Parliament’s Digital Currencies Inquiry is THIS FRIDAY, 13 APRIL! Get your submission in!
- Monero changed its algorithm to evade the onslaught of Bitmain’s Antminer X3 ASIC miners — and the hash rate promptly plummeted. Recovering now. Antminer X3 users are keeping the old Cryptonight algorithm and calling the coin on that chain Monero Original (XMO). There’s four other Monero forks on the old algorithm, two of which are called Monero Classic — and the manufacturers are dumping the miners cheap.
- Bitmain is also making the Antminer E3, to do Ethereum — but Ethereum’s not bothering to do anything about it because it’s not significantly more power-efficient than a pile of graphics cards. And anyway, proof-of-stake is coming to Ethereum any time now you betcha.
The Palmer Principle: no matter the consensus mechanism, in practice, 51% of stake/mining power will be owned by at most 3 entities.
— Nic Carter (@nic__carter) April 9, 2018
- Authorities seize 400 million euros of drug money from a Polish bank. One of the companies whose money was seized appears to be “a shareholder of an online cryptocurrency exchange office” — rumoured to be Bitfinex. (Unless it’s QuadrigaCX.) Bitfinex denied it was them and said they would issue a statement, which has shown up on CoinDesk. Chris Ellis hasn’t tweeted since December, but has edited his Twitter bio to remove mention of Bitfinex. And Ron Torossian’s 5W PR is no longer the PR firm for Bitfinex and Tether.
- Tim Swanson notes that the Texas State Securities Board now has 60 open case files on cryptocurrency-related investment schemes.
— Bitterpguy Labs (@ButtCoin) April 3, 2018
the real fun is gonna be the IRS enforcement division picking an egregious and combative bitcoin tax violator and using their idiocy to establish the best possible precedent
— Bitterpguy Labs (@ButtCoin) April 8, 2018
- Google is banning crypto mining addons from the Chrome store.
- Mikko Hypponen of F-Secure realises he invented cryptominer malware five years ago. He is very sorry.
- It’s important to remember that behind Bitcoin’s big, stupid, obvious major flaws, it has many more layers of stupid major flaws. It’s not brought up so often these days — because Bitcoin is never going to take over from fiat, and people only care about “number go up” — but Bitcoin economics are dumb as hell. As is their vision for society.
- Ivan Bogatyy: How we made $100k trading CryptoKitties.
- Twitter thread of the week: Kerry K. Taylor goes to the Real Estate Bitcoin Wealth Expo!
- Erin Griffith, Wired: How to be a Bitcoin thought leader. “The secret of thought leadership, though, is that it’s built on a flimsy foundation of buzzwords and a sufficient lack of shame. Yes, even you, with the 53 Twitter followers, could probably convince someone of your crypto clairvoyance. The trick is to study the writings and blog posts of the people who do this professionally. And we’ve done that for you! Steal shamelessly, and maybe you’ll finally have something to say.”
- Reuters on over-the-counter (OTC) crypto markets: “Less romantically, traders sometimes say ‘butt’ to mean bitcoin.” We did it lads, be proud!
- Saifedean Ammous’ forthcoming book The Bitcoin Standard is bad about Bitcoin — but Frances Coppola’s review details how bad it is about economic history, too. But then, the badness is orthodoxy for the Austrian school, his target audience.
- A nice review of my book in Jotwell.
— Bitcoin Art Gallery (@btcArtGallery) April 10, 2018
It's difficult to keep up with all the innovations in the Bitcoin space. Bitcoin Cash, SegWit, the Lightning Network… every 3 months, a new ground-breaking and revolutionary technology is born, attempting to solve some problem we never had before Bitcoin.
— Trolly McTrollface (@Tr0llyTr0llFace) April 6, 2018
— Crypto 'Alfonso' Capone ⚡️ (@crypto_capone) April 9, 2018
the wallet-lightening network is the perfect bitcoin product
THE LIGHTNING NETWORK IS REAL AND EXISTS AND YOU CAN USE IT * HAHA TAKE THAT SKEPTICS
* do not actually use the LN or you will lose all your money, is fwuffy open source alpha pwoduct pweeze no steppy uwu
— Bitterpguy Labs (@ButtCoin) April 9, 2018
number not allowed to go down pic.twitter.com/4HxDyfdxp2
— Bitterpguy Labs (@ButtCoin) April 7, 2018
Your subscriptions keep this site going. Sign up today!