- I added this to part two of the Kodak saga, but I’ll note it here as well: Ars Technica discovered that the KodakCoin ICO is actually a relaunch of a previous failed paparazzi-photographer-based ICO that WENN Digital were floating — and that they may have been founded in November in order to float.
- A pile of people, including me, have requested the KodakCoin “Lite Paper.” So far I don’t know of any who have received it. Have you? Do you have a copy you could put up? Or email me a copy so I can. Thank you!
- China is kicking out the Bitcoin miners as more of its hydroelectric power joins the national grid. Hydro-Québec doesn’t seem to be hooked into Canada’s very well, though, as they’re actively recruiting crypto miners to make up for their considerable spare capacity now that household customers are using less power and putting up their own solar for what they do use.
- South Korea, too, is looking to bring more Good News for Bitcoin and free it from its ties to filthy fiat currency!
- We’ve had brazil.txt, we’ve had greece.txt — I bring you korea.txt (archive). Obviously dude needs Bail Bloc.
- The currency of the future, in action:
- But don’t worry, we’ll have the Lightning Network on the main network soon! Frances Coppola analyses the frankly ridiculous economics of the Lighting Network, based on what we have publicly available so far. If any LN proponents want to object, please point me to official or semi-official writeups of the LN’s anticipated economics in practice.
- It’s occasionally relevant to keep in mind that Ethereum is, in technical terms, a shambling pile of code that sort of works. The proof-of-stake testing is not going so well either — workable PoS remains an unsolved problem, and should be treated like any other blockchain hypothetical.
- Matt Levine: “If you want to rebuild the regular financial system along blockchain principles, you have to wrestle with the fact that even the bitcoin financial system doesn’t really operate on blockchain principles.”
- This is the most audaciously statist argument yet seen from a Bitcoin captain of industry:
Beijing Morning Post: Mr. Wang, a Chinese guy who lost ￥400K trading bitcoin in months, sued exchanges including Huobi to get his money back, arguing that "Bitcoin does not exist, according to Marxism it has no value" and "therefore the previous trades should be invalidated". pic.twitter.com/1b0VEQP3Ev
— cnLedger (@cnLedger) January 9, 2018
- Everyone’s sent me legalfling.io today, an app that nobody who thinks it’s a good idea will ever have reason to use. I’ll hand this one over to Twitter:
WOMEN: Okay, so, consensual sex is when everyone is comfortable with what's going on.
MEN: I don't get it.
WOMEN: It's when everyone is willingly participating.
MEN: So… like a contract?
MEN: What if the contract is on Blockchain tho? https://t.co/u2vOA6Chsl
— Lux “Dumb Jokes” Alptraum (@LuxAlptraum) January 10, 2018
- The BBC asked for a quote on Kodak. I sent back five lines of soundbites expecting they’d use one, and they used three. With the name of the book, which makes my day every time. Then a pile of other media around the world straight-up lifted my quotes from the BBC article. Mostly with the name of the book! Inc., La Tribune, Conseiller, Zoznam, Ilta-Sanomat, Factor … ICO Examiner … Except the Telegraph, which quoted me from my Twitter. I’ll need to write more quotably there.
- And now, it’s London in January so it’s nothing but weather here:
you, crying: you can't just make everything a cryptocurrency
me, a 21st century disruptor intellectual: *points* see those? tearcoin
— 𝔐𝔞𝔤𝔫𝔢𝔱𝔰 🧲 (@PerthshireMags) January 10, 2018
Another indication the bloom is off the crypto et el publicly traded issuers is promoters are now back to shilling Canadian junior miners. OMG the spam today.@cromwellc, pls check in with ur compliance folks later this week.
— IvanaBoastsky #JusticeForNobel (@IvanaBoastsky) January 10, 2018
I am a programmer, and programming my money is literally the last thing on Earth I would want to do, and the thought fills me only with dread.
— WAHa.06×36 ↙︎↙︎↙︎ (@WAHa_06x36) January 11, 2018
Amazing: Thanks to explosive growth in Dentacoin the tooth fairy is now wealthier than Bill Gates
— Neeraj K. Agrawal (@NeerajKA) January 8, 2018
— Buttcoin (@ButtCoin) January 9, 2018
Your subscriptions keep this site going. Sign up today!